Score/Pointsystem

Want to report problems or bugs concerning the CTF Minsta+Hook Server? Here's the place.
Fjant

Re: Score/Pointsystem

Post by Fjant » 12 May 2011, 13:03

I think ur wrong :)
Its much easier to stand still and frag someone then to move fast and find/aim/frag someone
and take the flag and get away before he respawns and kill u.

arikel

Post by arikel » 12 May 2011, 13:20

I don't think that's the point Akari made : There is no need to kill a defender to pick up his flag. It's actually easier to pick up with no intention of killing anyone, you just concentrate on the flag, because you're a noob with no aim and you have no chance to kill these defenders (and they'd just respawn anyway) (and i'm using a generic "you" here, if i was refering to any player in particular, that would be myself).

If you fail as an attacker, you die, respawn, and try again. If you fail once as a defender, the fc gets your flag back in his base, scores, and you're getting closer to defeat. If i could camp, i would, but i attack because i'm no good at camping, and i'm really happy when i have good campers in my team who do the hard work : keeping our flag in our base. Giving them as many points would already seem unfair to me, now actually giving more points to a player that fails to cap than to a player that succeeds to defend is just an encouragement to noobish play (or worse, as already mentionned, you'll get players who shoot teammates to make the useless pick ups themselves).

Akari

Post by Akari » 12 May 2011, 13:41

Fjant wrote:I think ur wrong :)
Its much easier to stand still and frag someone then to move fast and find/aim/frag someone
and take the flag and get away before he respawns and kill u.
What arikel said, plus this doesn't even work this way. Defenders don't just stand still and shoot, read my first post carefully again. Simply standing still and shooting is defined by another term, camping. Defenders DO move fast and find/aim/frag when they switch to fc hunting.
ArchLinux - A simple, lightweight Linux distribution.

Hypnosekröte

Post by Hypnosekröte » 12 May 2011, 14:24

But this is not effective if you only run for the flag as attacker.... and these n00bs mostly never bring the flag home :o... You need to kill defenders that someone can grap the flag ... else there is no chance for grapping the flag.. And thats why its harder in my opinion... Because as a attacker you dont have a position and you dont know where the defenders stays ... All what counts is your reaction and your skill to inflitrate the enemy base to irritate the defenders. But if you die in this situation you must do it from zero again. have the reaction to get a good point at the front and so on. And you must know when its a good moment for grapping the flag. Making situations for other ppl to grap the flag and grap it in good moments urself thats my tactic :o
What do ya call a Toad's favorite soda?
Croaka-Cola!

Who is smarter, a chicken or a Toad?
A Toad of course.

How do you know?
Well, I've never heard of Kentucky Fried Toad!

Pir*

Post by Pir* » 12 May 2011, 14:26

2Akari:
Well ,it all looks very unfair but I personally have no problem with it: after all the mode is called Capture The Flag not Kill The Attacker. :)
If one wants to practice his aim he should go DM. There he'll get his awards.
Especially in 1vs1 case where the camper will (and should) lose anyway.

General remark:

I agree a lot of noobs would harvest camping on the enemy base. The optimal scoring system would be, as evol said, which gives highest scores to the players who do both, attack and defense, in balance. And I also think the current system is unbalanced towards cappers, who may just be lucky campers in the right place in the right moment.
Last edited by Pir* on 12 May 2011, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

Akari

Post by Akari » 12 May 2011, 15:43

Pir* wrote:2Akari:
Well ,it all looks very unfair but I personally have no problem with it: after all the mode is called Capture The Flag not Kill The Attacker. :)
If one wants to practice his aim he should go DM. There he'll get his awards.
Especially in 1vs1 case where the camper will (and should) lose anyway.
And if one wants to run like crazy, he should play Nexrun by your logic. CTF is not just about capturing the flag, preventing the other team from doing so is just as important. Without this, capturing the flag becomes cheap. How can you not understand such an obvious thing? It would be just the same if it wasn't a training 1on1 but a real game with a fair amount of players, the defender would still get ridiculously low score with your system, since his gameplay would not change from what I described. I just took 1on1 as an example because it's the simipliest way of calculating scores.

Pir*

Post by Pir* » 12 May 2011, 15:58

I understand it very well. But the reverse situation is even more unfair: just imagine two teams one runs like crazy the other stands still. The score might be say 10:0 but all the players of a defending team will get highest scores. This is how it is on exile for example. I am talking about the right balance. That's all.

Akari

Post by Akari » 12 May 2011, 16:14

Hypnosekröte wrote:But this is not effective if you only run for the flag as attacker.... and these n00bs mostly never bring the flag home :o...
This is EXACTLY what I pointed out, and yet attackers get most of their points for THIS.
I understand it very well. But the reverse situation is even more unfair: just imagine two teams one runs like crazy the other stands still. The score might be say 10:0 but all the players of a defending team will get highest scores. This is how it is on exile for example. I am talking about the right balance. That's all.
Then look at my suggestion for your score system again. It does bring balance in: while the defender gets a higher score, the gap is small. And for fuck's sake, stop using "stands still" already.

Akari

Post by Akari » 12 May 2011, 20:20

Ok, my suggestions for the pool options:

1. Revert back to the old scoring system, which isn't perfect but does much better than current and people are familiar with it
2. Use Pir's scoring suggestion with my fix (20 for fckill). By calculations it seems to respect both sides and appears to be more fair to defenders, while avoiding huge score gaps.

Heddiz

Post by Heddiz » 13 May 2011, 19:29

8 for flaggrab
8 for flagkill
2 for return
80 for cap

This scoring system sucks so hard that its just annoying...
I play in all positions, so i both Attack, Defend and middle.
depending on what the team needs atm.

how can a flaggrab get the same score as a fckill?
A flaggrabb is not hard at all, just jump in and take the flag, even noobs can do it.
its as easy as returning the flag.

a fckill on the other hand is much harder, since the speed of the attackers usually are way higher then the speed of the defenders.
to cap the flag is the goal of the game, but you cant cap the flag if no one fckills.

So the score should definitly be changed, a return and a flaggrab should be equal in score.
a fckills should be much higher then both returning and a flaggrab.
and ofc a cap should be highest.