Request: Removal of oh_crap from map rotation

Want to report problems or bugs concerning the CTF Minsta+Hook Server? Here's the place.
[o7m8]Az

Request: Removal of oh_crap from map rotation

Post by [o7m8]Az » 26 Jun 2013, 22:46

Since I am bilingual, I will post the german translation below for all those who prefer it in their native tongue.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With this post, I formally request the removal of the map oh_crap from the Tunichtguten CTF Minsta+Hook Server map-rotation.

For those of you who do not know the map, its layout is basically a cube, size 2x2x2m. The red flag spawns in one corner, the blue one in the opposite corner. The players spawn on each side of the cube. The goal is as always in CTF - capture the flag, only this time in the tiniest box the map creater could fit player models into.

I request the removal of the map for the following reasons
  • The map has an extremely negative impact on game performance - On my watercooled SLI'd industrial-sized gaming rig, the FPS drops down to under 10, if the server is full, way under 5, I would already call this unplayable. On my laptop, with a nice integrated intel HD4000 chipset, the FPS readings are below 1. The game is completely unplayable, you can not spawn, can not move, can not shoot and certainly can not capture the flag. It simply lags, twice so far to the point where Xonotic crashed. Having a map on your server that makes the game unplayable is, in my opinion, not a good idea. In addition it is a proper insult to the players who run Xonotic on low-end hardware.
  • The map has a negative impact on latency - Whenever the map comes up, I notice an increase in ping and latency to the server. It seems the intensity of the game on such a small scale either increases server load or maxes out the connection. This for the record is on 100/5 Mbit cable, around 100km from the server.
  • The map has a negative impact on the player base of your server - I spend a fair time on your servers, it is always noticeable, that the player-count drops significantly with oh_crap and I have yet to meet a regular player who enjoys the map. As far as I can see, your player community does not want this map. Should I be wrong and someone here actually likes it, I would like them to step forward and prove me wrong.
  • The map works against everything CTF stands for - It doesn't allow for tactics, it doesn't allow for teamwork, it doesn't allow one to actively pursue the flag and try to capture it. The server gamemode is CTF, not a DM slaughterfest, which is what this maps turns into.
You might say, the voting system should stop oh_crap from ever coming up if it is so bad, unfortunately the truth is far from that. We are on the internet and the internet is full of trolls. And these trolls will vote for it every time, just to ruin everyone elses experience. Not to mention the votes coming from completely new players, who do not know the map, jump on the bandwagon of the trolls or just think it's a cool name.

I hope that I have made my case clear.
/Az
[o7m8]
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mit diesem Post beantrage ich das Entfernen der Map oh_crap von der Maprotation des Tunichtguten CTF Minsta+Hook Servers.

Für die von euch, die die map nicht kennen:
Das Layout ist ein Würfel, etwa der Maße 2x2x2m. Die rote Flagge ist in einer Ecke des Würfels platziert, die blaue in der gegenüberliegenden Ecke. Die Spieler spawnen jeweils auf ihrer seite des Würfels. Das Ziel ist es, wie immer im CTF-Modus, die Flagge des Gegners zur eigenen Flagge zu tragen, nur diesmal auf der kleinsmöglichen Fläche, in die das Playermodel passt.

I stellen diesen Antrag aus folgenden Gründen:
  • Die Map hat einen extrem negativen Einfluss auf Leistung des Spiels - Mein wassergekülter Rechner, mit high-end NVIDIA Grafikkarten im SLI, schafft mit Glück noch 10 FPS, wenn der Server voll ist, dann unter 5. Diese Leistung ist schon unter aller Kritik. Auf meinem Laptop mit einem Intel HD4000-chipset sind die FPS-Werte under 1. Xonotic ist komplett unspielbar, es lässt sich nicht Spawnen, Bewegen, Schießen und auf keinen Fall die Flagge des Gegners erobern. Es lagt einfach zu viel, zweil Mal ist Xonotic auch schon abgestürzt. Eine Map in der Maprotation zu haben, die solch einen negativen Effekt auf die Leistung hat, ist meiner Meinung nach keine gute Idee. Außerdem ist es eine Beleidigung gegenüber den Spielern, die nicht auf top-hardware "zocken".
  • Die Map beeinflusst den Ping und die Latenz auf negativer Art und Weise - Während einer Runde oh_crap ist ein erhöhter Ping und eine höhere Latenz bemerkbar. Es scheint als ob die Itensität des Spiels auf so einer kleinen Fläche entweder die Belastung des Servers erhöht, oder den Netzwerkanschluss voll auslastet. Mein Anschluss ist 100/5 Mbit Kabel bei Kabel BW im Raum Karlsruhe, also nur rund 100km vom Server entfernt und funktioniert sonst gut.
  • Die Map beeinflust die Spielergemeinschaft negativ - I verbringe schon einige Zeit auf eurem Server. Es ist jedes map Bemerkbar, dass die Spieleranzahl des Servers sinkt, wenn oh_crap die Map der Runde ist. Dazu habe ich noch keinen Spieler getroffen, welcher die Tunichtguten-Server regelmäßig besucht und die Map mag. Sollte ich mich Irren, so bitte ich diejenigen sich zu melden, die diese Map tatsächlich gut finden.
  • Die Map verstößt gegen den Sinn des CTF-Modus - Es gibt keine Möglichkeit Taktik oder Teamwork anzuwenden und schon gar nicht aktiv zu versuchen die gegnerische Flagge zu erobern. Der Speilmodus des Servers ist CTF, sollte also kein Deathmatch-Schlachtfest sein, wie oh_crap.
Man könnte ja hoffen, dass das Abstimmungs-system für jeden Runde verhindern sollte, dass oh_crap jemals gewählt wird. Leider tut es dies nicht: Das Internet ist voller Trolle, die jedesmal für oh_crap stimmen, nur um allen anderen die Runde zu versauen. Dazu kommen noch die Stimmen von neunen Spielern, welche die Map nicht kennen, ihre Stimme aber entweder weil sie den Namen toll finden oder weil andere der Map schon stimmen gegeben haben.

Ich hoffe, ihr versteht das Problem.
/Az
[o7m8]

eL_Bart0

Re: Request: Removal of oh_crap from map rotation

Post by eL_Bart0 » 08 Jul 2013, 10:01

78 Views ... no reply yet ... seem's like i should answer this for you ;D
In general you are right ... no question ... your arguments are definitly valid and i see no point where i could disagree with you ;)
Still those maps are fun ... sometimes :O I guess we will handle it this way: Remove those two maps from the map-rotation so they don't appear in the votings again, but still make them vcallable ... so if people feel like playing it they still can do so ... if the majority of the players agree. I guess this should be fair this way ... what do you think? :>

[o7m8]Az

Post by [o7m8]Az » 11 Jul 2013, 12:24

Sounds like a good idea.
When there are 4 people on the server, oh_crap can be enjoyable, it would give such a small amount of people the possibility of running the map if they want to, but hopefully prevent further lagfests.
It just won a vote against lostspace2 *sigh*

Hypnosekröte

Post by Hypnosekröte » 12 Jul 2013, 20:28

i love this map :)

But ur argues arent bad ;/
What do ya call a Toad's favorite soda?
Croaka-Cola!

Who is smarter, a chicken or a Toad?
A Toad of course.

How do you know?
Well, I've never heard of Kentucky Fried Toad!